Opponents learn and agree to use Rethink Perfect.
Opponents first find the point where they do agree, by:
- Opponent A states her point and opponent B states that he doesn’t agree.
- Opponent A asks why and if she does not agree with his reasoning says so.
- Opponent B asks why and continue the process until they finally find their Agreement Point.
Both opponents then agree to rethink their arguments starting from this point.
If at any time the conversation becomes heated they refer back to the agreement point.
This process continues slowly, building upon their agreement point.
Things to look out for;
- Complaints: Are a not so sophisticated way to pose an argument.
Simply thank your opponent and ask them for their argument, encouraging them
to start more with “From now on….”
- Tone and Volume: Opponents can disagree with the tone and volume used.
A process that may speed up reaching the next agreement is the 6A’s
- Speak with: Appreciation, Acknowledgement, Apology (speech in defence)
- Listen for: Adjustability, Accountability, Acceptability